Thursday, July 30, 2009

To wash ... perchance to felt ... art vs. artifice

My husband, Jay, thinks the whole felting hype is very funny. To him, it's just washed yarn. I, on the other hand, view the transformation of wool into felt as a metaphor for the entire creative process, the journey of an idea from thought to product, which can engage the universal human mind, indeed, the entire planetary consciousness, in a dialogue of understanding, peace and ... and ...

... oh, who am I kidding? It's washed yarn, for cripes sake! Some hot water, detergent, agitation and -- voila! Felt! But what determines accident or art, quotidian or extraordinary, oh, crap or oh, baby? I don't know.

But, as they used to say on Wooster Street, I know what I like, and in that spirit I invite you to come along and see what happens.

Russell is ....
... non-committal.


1 comment:

  1. Love your comments about what Russell is doing. Also, your socks are wonderful. One of these days I'll get around to knitting a pair.

    ReplyDelete